Windows Server Monitoring
What is a Windows server monitor?
A Windows server monitor is a monitoring tool that tracks important performance metrics of all the Windows servers in your network to maintain their health. The major metrics monitored are CPU, memory and disk utilization. It also displays the historical data of the server performance helping you to monitor your Windows server proactively.
Why is it vital to monitor your Windows servers?
With Windows servers becoming an integral part of most networks, several business critical functions depend on their up-time perpetually. A hit on their availability and performance could adversely impair these functions and in-turn impact revenue drastically.
Owing to these circumstances, it is highly imperative to prevent their downtime by proactively gauging their performance and monitoring for availability incessantly. This is precisely where a Windows server monitoring tool could come in handy.
Challenges encountered when devoid of a Windows Server monitoring software
Following are prominent bottlenecks you might encounter when lacking a Windows server performance monitoring tool:
- According to Gartner, an hour of server downtime could cost a business close to $300,000 to $400,000, which is a huge sum even for large scale businesses.
- Apart from monetary costs, downtime also impacts productivity levels. On an average, a person takes close to 23 minutes to refocus on his prior task when interrupted. Furthermore, according to Citrix, businesses lose 6 days of productivity per employee per year owing to server downtime.
- Server downtime could affect the delivery of services to customers which in-turn affects your rapport with them and also could dent the reputation of your business.
How can OpManager's server monitoring tools for windows help overcome your challenges?
ManageEngine OpManager utilizes the WMI protocol to monitor your Windows servers and provide in-depth visibility over critical server metrics. This ensures greater control in your Windows server environment.
Listed below are the versions of Windows servers supported by OpManager:
Windows Server versions
- Windows NT
- Windows 2000
- Windows Server 2003
- Windows Server 2008
- Windows Server 2008 R2
- Windows Server 2012
- Windows Server 2012 R2
- Windows Server 2016
- Windows Server 2019
With the Windows server monitoring feature in OpManager, you can monitor a mixed bag of metrics pertaining to various aspects of a server.
OpManager can monitor these key server parameters:
- Windows server performance monitoring: Monitor windows server performance to proactively address potential issues by tracking key performance metrics and assigning complimentary monitors, such as memory, CPU, and disk utilization monitors.
- Windows services monitoring: Windows service monitoring has become vital. Using OpManager, you can continuously monitor the applications running on your server in the background, and with pinpoint accuracy.
- URL monitoring: Monitor URLs and particular text on a page to help determine whether your website is dormant or functional. OpManager supports HTTP/HTTPS and NTLM authenticated sites.
- Event log monitoring: Analyze your event logs to diagnose application and system failure, as well as combat internal threats.
- File/folder monitoring: Monitor your server's files and folders (both remote and local), analyze disk utilization, and look out for any unusual trends.
- Process monitoring: Track all the processes running on your servers, and utilize Process Templates to discover, control, and configure thresholds for process monitors across multiple servers from a single window.
- Exchange server monitoring: Monitor your Exchange servers to prevent any delay in the transmission of messages, malfunction of email servers, and loss of data.
- Active Directory monitoring: Monitor Active Directory services, processes, domain controller roles, and performance, tracking all key metrics in one place through OpManager's customizable Active Directory monitoring dashboard.
- MS SQL monitoring: Monitor your MS SQL database server's performance and availability, including crucial metrics such as file size and the percentage of storage space taken up by log files, and view all active transactions.
All-encompassing dashboards for Windows server network monitoring
OpManager offers comprehensive dashboards that can be customized according to your needs. This enables you to view all business-critical metrics in one place.
Leverage workflows to automate redundant tasks
OpManager's workflows help automate mundane tasks, and the workflow builder's intuitive interface enables you to simplify tasks with simple drag-and-drop actions. This also helps eliminate human error.
For more information on how OpManager can help effectively monitor your Windows servers, try a 30-day free trial, or register for a free demo.