Automated Windows Patch Management for Enterprises
Microsoft periodically releases software updates, patches, hotfixes, and security updates to fix Operating System (Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, 2003, etc.) or Windows Software/Application related issues. The Windows systems and applications in any enterprise need to install these software updates to secure themselves. Software vulnerabilities can create security weakness, corrupt critical system data or cause system unavailability that can be a nightmare to Network administrators. So, Administrators are constantly looking out for a solution that scans for vulnerabilities, identify missing Microsoft updates, apply them immediately and mitigate risk, not just an update deployment software.
Desktop Central's patch management solution handles every aspect of Microsoft update deployment like System discovery, identifying the required Windows Microsoft updates deploying relevant updates and reports to make network administrators job simpler. Administrators can also opt for a completely automated solution and don't have to worry about updating windows systems ever. It supports managing Microsoft updates of various Windows OS and Applications. The updates include software updates, XP updates, OS updates, application updates, and security updates.
Desktop Central's network-neutral architecture helps administrators to install Microsoft updates to computers in Active Directory, Workgroup, and Novell eDirectory based networks. The computers to be updated can be in the same LAN or distributed across WAN. It can also update the desktop of romaning/ mobile users.
Windows Update Deployment Features in Desktop Central
- Uses a hosted Patch Database at ManageEngine site to assess the vulnerability status of the network
- Complete automated Update Deployment Solution from detecting the missing Microsoft updates to deploying the updates.
- Patch based deployment - Deploy an update to all the Windows systems applicable
- System based update deployment - Deploy all the missing Microsoft updates for a windows desktop/server
- Automatic handling of update interdependencies and sequencing
- Reports on Windows System vulnerabilities, Updates, OS, etc.
- Provides an update of the deployment status
Fig: The Patch Management Process
The Patch Management Process
- Desktop Central requires a light-weight, non-intrusive agent to be installed in all the managed computers to carry out the patch management functions.
- The Online vulnerability Database is a portal in the ManageEngine site, which hosts the latest Windows Updates database that has been published after a thorough analysis. This contains the list of all Microsoft Windows updates that are available, which includes, software updates, application updates, xp updates, security updates, and so on.
- The Desktop Central Server updates itself with the details of the available Microsoft patches and Windows software updates from the Online Vulnerability Database periodically.
- It scans all the windows desktops/servers in the network to check for the missing Microsoft Windows updates.
- Downloads the Windows updates from the Microsoft and stores them locally.
- These Windows updates are then pushed to all the windows desktops/servers in network either automatically or manually as you wish.
- The status of the Microsoft update installation is updated in the Desktop Central Server.
Supported OS and Applications for Patch Management
- Windows 10
- Windows 8.1
- Windows 8
- Windows 7 (Enterprise, Professional, Ultimate)
- Windows Server 2019 (Standard, Web & Small Business ServerEditions)
- Windows Server 2016
- Windows Server 2012 R2
- Windows Server 2012
- Windows Server 2008 R2(Datacenter, Enterprise & Standard)
- Windows Server 2008 (Standard, Enterprise & Web Server Editions)
- Microsoft Office 2016
- Microsoft Office 2013
- Internet Explorer
- Visual Studio
- Exchange Server
- .NET Framework
- SQL Server
- Sharepoint Server (View Complete List)